Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The Case of the Missing E-mail: Sorting

Computer Coaching for Seniors Ottawa, Canada

Ring ...Ring... Ring...

You pick up the phone and it's Charlie.

"Karl, please forgive me!!!! I was going to tell you about the shirt..HONEST!!!!"

"Um Charlie what are you talking about?" you ask.

"Uh.. Nothing," Charlie replied, "You're not mad at me, Karl, are you?"

"Why would I be mad at you?"

"You haven't E-mailed me in DAYS. Karl!!!!!! DAYS!!!!!"

"Ohhh that's cause I don't know where my new E-mail appears. It used to be at the bottom of the E-mail list but now it shows up all over the place. I swear I have a virus."


"Karl, I don't think it's a virus. You are not sorting your E-mail by date."

................
At the top of the E-mail list there are 3 columns:
  • From - The name of the person who sent you the E-Mail
  • Subject - The subject of the E-Mail.
  • Received - The date you received your E-mail.
Normally, your E-mail is sorted by the date you Received your E-mail in ascending order. This is why new E-mail appears at the bottom of the list.

If you click with your mouse on the Subject column, then your mail is sorted by Subject. Your new E-mail will appear based on the sorting order of the subject.

If you click with your mouse on the From column, your new E-mail will appear based on the sorting order of the sender's name

To go back to sorting your E-Mail by date (new E-mail appearing at the bottom of the list):
  1. Click with your mouse on the Received column.
  2. If the sorting order is descending, click with your mouse on the Received column again to change the sorting order to ascending.

No comments: