Saturday, October 28, 2006

Why can't I write with my CD-R drive?

Computer Coaching for Seniors Ottawa Canada


Ever since Charlie lost all his data when his hard-drive failed you decided to backup your pictures. You are not worried about your E-Mail since you are using Hotmail. All your mail is stored on the Hotmail's computer. So you pop in a blank CD into the drive and drag in all the pictures to the CD icon but... there is nothing in Windows to let you write (or burn) the CD.

You look at the phone and there is Charlie's big head beckoning you to call him. With a big sigh of regret you push the speed dial button.

"Hey Charlie um..."
"Say it Karl! SAY IT!!!"

"Oh, for crying out loud Charlie...."

"SAY IT!!"

"Ok, Charlie, you are the greatest computer expert in the world, you arrogant @#@$#@@@!!"

"I will accept that but watch the language."

"Charlie, I am trying to burn some CDs but..."

"You can't!"

"Why can't I? I have a CD. I made sure it wasn't a DVD since they are different. So why can't my stupid computer not have just a little bit of intelligence and write to a CD?!!!???"

"Because you have a CD-R drive. The R stands for Read. You need a CD-RW drive that Reads and Writes."


"WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME THAT YESTERDAY?!?"


"You didn't ask."


Here are all the different drive types you may find in the computer store.
DriveNameReadCDsReadDVDsWriteCDsWriteDVDs
CD-RYesNoNoNo
CD-RWYesNoYesNo
DVD-RYesYes(DVD-R)YesNo
DVD-RWYesYes(DVD-R)YesYes(DVD-R)
DVD+RYesYes(DVD+R)YesNo
DVD+RWYesYes(DVD+R)YesYes(DVD+R)
DVD+/-RWYesYes(DVD+R,DVD-R)YesYes(DVD+R,DVD-R)

No comments: